Sunday, August 21, 2011

Week 1 Recipe - Veggie Burger

One of the reasons I don't like to cook is because I find it impossible to follow a recipe. I like things more 'abstract' and tend not to be precise with measurements, or measure at all. A handful of something looks like a half cup to me. I also end up eliminating or substituting ingredients a lot because I either don't like it or can't eat it.

I found today's recipe on a great blog side called Oh She Glows. This woman is a true foodie who experiments with vegan and vegetarian recipes and makes them look terrific. I figured I'd give a whirl. What could go wrong?

I started chopping and "measuring" and throwing the ingredients in a bowl. After mixing them I realized I didn't saute the onion and garlic...oops. I eliminated the almonds and tamari because I'm allergic and eyeballed the spices. Started frying one up and realized I forgot to add the sunflower seeds. OK, that's 3 ingredients now missing.

My burger was looking kind of dry and dense so I topped it with salsa. No flavor whatsoever. I only cooked one so I added salsa to the rest of the mixture along with the sunflower seeds (see photo). This batch looked a little better so I will try it again tomorrow night and report back. If it doesn't work out, I'll look for something a little less complicated for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment