Thursday, August 18, 2011

Eye on the Prize

For as long as I can remember, I've always set goals for myself. And I've always achieved them, with the exception of eating healthy and more recently, losing weight. It's obvious that bad habits formed over many decades are hard to break.

We all know that small changes add up and equal big success over time. My problem is patience. I don't have any. If I don't lose 5 lbs the first week, I throw in the towel and go back to my old ways. But my food allergies are forcing me to make changes that have me kicking and screaming. No cream in my coffee, no pizza or macaroni and cheese. Most every product in the grocery store that isn't an unprocessed, whole food contains soy or milk in some form. For a junk food junkie, this is a death sentence. How can my only options now be in the produce aisle, a place I have avoided like the plague for most of my life?

The key to success for me is going to be making small changes over time. I can no longer cheat and eat the foods I'm allergic to without consequences. My body is tired and telling me it's time to clean up my act and start treating it better.

Goal #1 - Eliminate diet soda. I'm on day 4 and doing ok. I've swapped out my morning Coke Zero with water and Crystal Light. Pretty painless. Even I'm surprised.

Goal #2 - Stop putting cream in my coffee. This one has been a thorn in my side for over a year. I've tried every substitute available and they are really BAD. Believe it or not, non-dairy creamer isn't truly dairy free. It contains casein, milk protein, and is what I'm allergic to. Soy-based creamers are out. I used to drink it black but can't reacquire the taste. I tried SoDelicious Coconut Milk Creamer for the fourth or fifth time and can finally tolerate it.

Two accomplishments so far. I'll keep looking forward and keeping my eye on the prize. I CAN do this.

Next up:




  • Be more consistent with exercise


  • Cook from a recipe once week

No comments:

Post a Comment